The use of DSC has gained significant prominence to ensure security and protection of online transactions and transfer of documents across various transacting parties.
Based on the use and types of transactions conducted, the DSC is issued for a limited time period of its validity (1 year or 2 years validity).
After the completion of the validity of the DSC, you must obtain a renewed DSC for which an application has to be made. In case of any change in the personal information detailed in the DSC, you must apply for making those changes for updating the same on the DSC.
1. You must obtain a DSC USB-token in case of DSC renewal. If you have not procured a USB-token while registering for your DSC, then you must procure the same for the renewal process.
2. You must apply for the renewal with the same name registered in your existing DSC.Any change in the name during the renewal process is not permissible and will be treated as a fresh application for registration of a new DSC.
3. Changes made to the postal address and contact details are permissible.
4. The application for renewal of the DSC must be made 7 days prior to the expiry of your existing DSC.
5. To apply for renewal or change in DSC, you must install on your PC/machine the existing DSC and the DSC which requires a change.
When time stamping isn’t offered by the certificate authority, all digital signatures made using the certificate become invalid after the certificate expiration date. All the digital certificates have an expiration date. Renewal of Digital certificate and issuance of new keys help to prevent decipher key combinations and theft of private information. Approx. 90 days before the expiration date, the certificate holder gets notice of expiration, information on renewal and receiving a new encryption key. If the certificate doesn’t get renewed within this time frame, the certificate expires and a warning message is received by visitors to the website.
The validity period of a digital signature certificate is of 1 or 2 years from the date of its download into a token. Subscribers must be well aware of their certificate validity so that they can renew their certificate on time before the validity of the certificate expires. Also, the expired certificate could lead to business loss; to avoid risks of loss, subscribers should know the validity of their digital signature certificate.
An individual should obtain a DSC-USB token in case of DSC renewal. If an individual has not procured a USB-token while registering for his DSC, then he should procure the same for the renewal process. The renewal of DSC should be applied with the same name registered in the existing DSC. No change during the renewal process is permitted and is considered as a new application for DSC. Changes made to the postal address and contact details are allowed. It is wise to make the renewal application of the DSC 7 days prior to the expiry of the existing DSC.